Safe Working Near Water
A classroom-based course, that looks at the hazards and risk associated with inland (lakes, canals, rivers) and coastal water. It looks at basic control measures and safe working practices that can be introduced, including types of PPE and their use. The SWNW course is designed for industry, civil engineering, and other workers near water.
The comparable course for those supporting rescue teams is Water and Flood Awareness (AW).
Course content includes:
- Training standards
- Hydrology and water hazards
- Personal equipment
- Rescue equipment considerations
- Risk assessments
- Incident size-up considerations
- Site control
- Medical and decontamination
- Considerations for night/poor visibility
- Mud, ice and unstable surface
- Accidental immersion considerations
- Receiving a throwbag